MS Word cannot open WordPerfect 6.x - 7.0 file
Jason Hicks
2003-08-27 00:54:03 UTC
When trying to open a WPD 6.x - 7.0 file sent as an email
attachment, Word returns the following error
message: "File appears to be corrupt. Conversion may be
incomplete". Others CC'd in the same email are using Word
and are able to open the attachment. Any help would be
appreciated.
jesse
2003-08-27 08:36:43 UTC
Jason,

Request that the sender save the file as an RTF. If it is indeed corrupted
there is not much you can do.

&:-jesse)
appreciated.
Jason Hicks
2003-08-27 11:52:52 UTC
I requested the file as an RTF as suggested. MSWord
returns the following error message: "The document name or
path is not valid. Try these suggestions: 1. Check the
file permissions for the document or drive. 2. Use the
File Open dialog box to locate the document."
2003-08-27 13:10:39 UTC
Try this: Save the document somewhere. Open Word and then click on Tools,
Options, General, and select Confirm Conversion at Open. Try opening the
document. You may receive a message that "This feature is not currently
installed, would you like to install it now?". Click yes and insert your
Word (or Office) installation disk. I've seen the same thing happen with
WordPerfect documents that contain a text box or other graphic on the first
page, but since you say others are able to open the document I suspect you
don't have the converters installed.
.
Charlie
2003-08-27 14:35:54 UTC
Post by Jason Hicks
When trying to open a WPD 6.x - 7.0 file sent as an email
attachment, Word returns the following error
message: "File appears to be corrupt. Conversion may be
incomplete". Others CC'd in the same email are using Word
and are able to open the attachment. Any help would be
appreciated.
My wife had a similar situation. She created a WordPerfect file that
Word would not open (message the same as you got). The only thing
unusual that I could see was a large graphic on the first page. We
opened the file in WordPerfect and saved it as a Word 97 doc file, and
then Word was very happy with the document. If you have WordPerfect,
try that, if you don't have it, either ask for the sender to try
converting it, or send me a copy and I'll try for you.
--
Charlie Hoffpauir
If you really want to reply via email, my valid